Friday, January 30, 2009

A One-Uping Post About Anagrams

So I read all of Renee's anagrams, which were quite entertaining, and it reminded me of a documentary I had seen a while ago. I managed to track it down and even figured out how to read some of the HTML on the page in order to embed it here for our zero many readers. It's about this guy, Cory Calhoun, that came up with the arguably best anagrams of all times. He even won awards for his anagram. (Yes, I am thinking exactly the same thing: there are anagram awards? I swear to God, someone, somewhere, will give an award for anything. This blog could probably win an award. I'm thinking the "Legendary Award.") 

The anagram of all anagrams is:

To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. (From Shakespeare's Hamlet)

becomes...

In one of the Bard's best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten.

I do actually think that that is incredibly impressive. And I know how difficult anagrams are to solve. I have a hard enough time playing Word Challenge on Facebook, and I'm just trying to come up with four letter words from a few random letters. I'm not actually trying to write a sentence that effectively sums up an ENTIRE play!

Anyways, here is the promised documentary about the man behind the anagram. It was made for an online short film festival hosted by PBS. This film was the winner, I believe. It's 7 minutes long, but well worth it.



That's all for now.

Peace, Gab

PS: Renee, chocolate and vanilla frozen yogurt is not truly frozen yogurt. It's pretend ice cream. When I talk about frozen yogurt, I mean the good stuff that you get at Yogen Fruz where they use the special machine to squish the bar and fruits together.

No comments:

Post a Comment