Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sean Penn has Earned my Respect



So, I have never been the biggest Sean Penn fan. I did not like his "performance" in I Am Sam. That's basically where the root of my dislike for him is. But, I am very, very glad that he won the Oscar and took the opportunity to speak out against Prop 8 and condemn those who voted for it.

Yesterday, I went to a conference discussing ways to use your voice and whatnot, and one of the speakers was a former Much Music VJ. She spoke about how saddening she finds it that most celebrities don't take the opportunity to speak out for causes when almost everything they say is eaten up by the general public. I could not agree more with what she said. 

I have a great respect for anyone who speaks up about causes which are important, and for this reason, Sean Penn has earned my respect.

"Finally, for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted against the ban on gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grand-children's eyes as they continue that way of support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone."

Peace, Gab

PS: What a great speech Dustin Lance Blank gave for his screenplay for Milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment